It’s been almost 20 years since Diablo 2 was released, bringing huge changes to the ARPG genre. However, is Diablo 2 still worth playing?
In these two decades, several masterpieces with better story and graphics that Diablo 2 were released. These titles include Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest and Torchlight. So, is it really worth? For me the answer is yes. You don’t have to be the best if everyone is copying you. Diablo had a huge impact on the RPG genre, creating a new “Diablo-like” sub-genre that would later be called ARPG. Without further ado, let’s check the pros and cons of Diablo 2. Keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion.
- Will keep you busy for hours with several chapters set in different landscapes and atmospheres. Three difficulties are also present, with the last one (Hell) being really hard if you don’t invest enough time improving your build.
- Amazing story. Diablo 2’s lore is simply superb, featuring some of the best villains of the Diablo universe. (Mephisto, Baal, Duriel, Andariel and Diablo himself)
- Dark, gritty, old-school atmosphere that will give you chills that newer brighter games like Diablo 3 and Path of Exile can not.
- A satisfactory amount of class choices, with several builds created by the players for each one.
- Millions of items, enchants, runes, sockets and playstyles to choose from. Old-school farming that will give you a feeling of success every time you manage to get your hands on a new item that you are hunting. A small note here, for new players be sure to check The Arreat Summit!
- Cinematics are pretty good and interesting for the time of its release.
- No serious bugs, smooth gameplay and very interesting mechanics and combinations if you want to take the game seriously.
- Very low resolution even after the Lord of Destruction update.
- Some specific classes’ builds, like the Summonmancer, are very simple to operate by simply moving around and hitting one or two buttons.
- Lacks more NPCs and voice acting.
- Boss fights need more phases and mechanics.
- The game is not friendly for new players, hiding several important pieces of information like how to complete a runeword correctly or when to use a once-per-playthrough quest reward. Always visit The Arreat Summit.
- Duriel needs a bigger fighting stage. Fuck you developers and fuck you Duriel!
Concluding, Diablo 2 is totally worth playing in 2020 because it is the father of the ARPG genre and one of the games that totally reshaped the landscape of roleplaying videogames. Are you thinking for more Pros and Cons to add to the list above? Please let us know in the comments! In addition if you are a Diablo fan, be sure to check our Diablo lore articles. Thanks for reading!